Thursday, August 2, 2012

Artist Statement

The reel below is a small reflection of my past work since I have been in school. I haven't done a whole lot and have had little experience in this industry. I can only hope to broaden my minds horizons and expand to bigger and better things. It takes practice and talent to become great at things and in time I know it will happen. I may never be a Steven Speilberg, but I can keep pressing forward and strive to be similar. I see all my past work as amateur work. I want to make my movies, clips, etc wow people. I'm still uncertain if this is the exact direction for me, but I want to finish and see where this path leads. I  have yet to experience the screenwriting side of this industry, but I have a hunch that is where my work will originate from. I have always loved writing and have always written everything down as I image it in my mind. I believe that my writing would help me increase my imagination with the production side of this career.
As I stated in my visual style I do want to learn more about framing shots in a way to make the small things pop. I want to take amazing shots that stand out to others. And I believe once achieving these goals I will be able to look more professional. And until these goals are achieved I will view my work as amateur and will be fearful of furthering my career.
I want people to watch my work and be moved. And most things I have written have moved people, at least i've been told. I just need to put my written words to the screen to get that point across. I want to be the inspiration to the world.

So when watching my reel below please keep in mind I am a young aspiring filmmaker who hopes to become a great artist. I won't stop practicing till I get it right!








 

7 comments:

  1. Sarah, nice job. I think it could've been cool to start your reel with the shot of your father walking towards the camera and end it with him walking away instead of placing those together at the end.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you have a good eye for locations and landscapes. I loved the houses and different landmarks you filmed (that house in the beginning of the video, President's Mansion, Cobb theatre, 15th street, etc...).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Shebly, those would make really cool shots to start and finish your reel. Keep working on lighting and composition, there's a lot of good stuff in there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Connor and Shelby, it would have been cool to start your reel with your Dad walking in then your Dad leaving. I realized from working in a group with you that you have a lot of good knowledge about lighting and composition than you think you do. You did a great job as my DP :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You had the good location and the house looks great. The diagnal shot is my favorite.I like taking picture of a place. Good job.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had never seen the footage from the beginning of the reel, and it looked really good. I'm a sucker for architecture shots though. There are some great things in here. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think that with the hand you were dealt, you did a great job on your scene assignment. I think you have the passion, just need to find your "Thing" to focus on in filmmaking. I hope we do have another class, or two, together in the future.

    ReplyDelete